Vetster is the world’s fastest growing veterinary telehealth and pet care marketplace. Since our launch in 2020 we have established ourselves as a leader in the rapidly growing pet care industry. Named Overall Pet Healthcare Company of the Year, Vetster makes it easier for pet owners to connect with the veterinary care they need - any time, anywhere.
We know that by empowering pet owners with easy-to-use, convenient services and an open marketplace, we can move the industry forward, create professional opportunities in the veterinary community, and fundamentally improve animal wellbeing and access to care. The work we are doing is groundbreaking and is changing lives.
Vetster offers flex and remote working options and is headquartered in Toronto, Canada. We work in cross functional teams and believe ownership and accountability, along with trust, respect and inclusion are core tenets of success in our new working paradigm. At all levels, successful Vetster team members are those who seek to grow their careers and who share our ambition to build a global high-growth brand.
Vetster is looking for an Engineering Technical Lead to guide an agile cross-functional engineering team developing incredible product features that deliver value to pet owners and veterinary professionals. We build complex, globally distributed systems leveraging Laravel, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, Vue, and React Native. Working with the Director of Engineering, the Technical Lead is responsible for architecting, building, testing, and operationalizing backend, frontend, and mobile applications with a cross-functional team. You are also an experienced, empathetic leader who can mentor other engineers and support them in their career growth.
Common responsibilities will include:
- Participate in the full development life cycle, including design, coding, testing, deployment, and maintenance.
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
- Partner closely with Product, UXD, UXR, and Data Engineering teams to craft great digital product experiences.
- Lead code reviews to drive the team to the highest standards for PHP, Node, and Mobile applications.
- Provide technical leadership for a cross-functional team, providing mentorship for junior members recognizing their strengths, and encouraging them to take ownership of their personal development
- Participate in the definition and clarification of business and product requirements and determine the technical feasibility of potential solutions
- Contribute to project success by reviewing project plans, timelines, estimates, requirements documents, and providing feedback.
- Communicate progress, issues, and risks in a timely manner
- Deliver code in an agile team environment
- Work closely with partners to onboard them into our multi-sided marketplace platform
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent; advanced degree desirable.
- 8+ years of application design, development, and testing experience using modern rapid application development frameworks (Laravel, Vue, React Native preferred)
- 3+ years of leading engineering projects, vetting requirements, executing deliverables, communicating progress, and coaching junior members of a team
- Experience with API development (REST, GraphQL, or gRPC)
- Solid experience with relational and/or NoSQL database systems
- Understanding of cloud-based architectures (AWS preferred), and DevOps/SRE practices
- Well-experienced in developing and executing automated unit, functional, and integration tests.
- Knowledge of source code control systems, especially Git
- Strong communication skills working with cross-functional stakeholders
- Experience working in a rapid and agile development environment with frequent deliveries
What We Offer:
- Full access to the Vetster service for your own pets
- Bring your furry (canine) friends to our office
- Vacation and personal days to support work life balance
- Attractive health and dental benefits for you and your family
- Competitive salary based on experience and market
- Flex work and remote work options
- Career growth and international work opportunities
- Inclusive and equitable workplace
- Team building and social events